Thursday, September 23, 2010

Dead Sun rising - Prelude p.1

Prelude


Screams everywhere, that's what I wake up to and it isn't a very pleasant thing to wake up to mind you. The kind of things that makes a man wake up on the wrong side of the bed you know? They seem to be panicking over something, what I can't say but when I scream at them to be quiet down I'm ignored, could be that my voice was drowned amidst all the panic. It isn't until I try to open my eyes that I understand that I'm not home, I'm not dreaming and I'm lying on a cold, hard, stone floor. When I attempt to stand up my legs fails me at the attempt of it, like I've just recently run a marathon and that really makes me wonder what the hell I did in my sleep. My vision keeps blurring out for the time being, must be due to some kind of blunt force trauma to my head earlier, and it doesn't help that the room is so dark. Though it is a lot quieter than before, what happened to all the people that was here just seconds ago? As I struggled with standing up, I heard a vaguely familiar voice calling out in the distance. It seemed not to call out to anything in particular, just somebody, to see if anyone was still there. I tried calling for help, but my voice was faint and weak. Still, the person heard me and ran in to the room looking around for my voice, I continued calling and after a minute or two located me amidst the dark. The person was soft to the touch, with smooth skin... Could this be a woman? I didn't know who this was something was familiar with her. Was this a person I knew?

- Who are you?
- Chris?
- Sophie?

Turns out it indeed was a person I knew, an ex of mine. How sad of her to be here of all places, wherever this was. She helped me up on my legs and allowed me to rest on her shoulders, it helped ease the tension in my body. When I was up, I got a better view of this place. It seems that this is a bunker of sorts, the interior walls along with the floor are entirely made out of rough stone, like they dug it through a mountain. She produced a bottle of water from her purse and helped me drink it, it did wonders for my body as I already started to feel better for each sip I took. I felt it was time to explore this place so she helped me out of this room to the next connecting corridor.

- Sophie, do you know where we are?
- No, I can't say. I know we are underground somewhere but that's all I knew. I woke up here about an hour ago, saw a crowd running somewhere but wasn't able to catch up to them and then I found you.
- This kind of complicates things, I can't remember how the hell I got here or why my body is being such a bitch. Do you have any memories before coming here?
- No, last memory I had was sleeping in my own bed. Then I woke up in this place.
- Shit, that doesn't spell good. I've seen enough movies and played enough games to know that it's not a good thing not remembering what happened before this.
- You serious? Please don't to that, you know how easily scared I can be.
- I'll protect you, I promise. I'm strong, remember?
- You always were the one to joke.

Seeing no point in continuing the conversation, we walked along the long corridor. I knew that ahead of us, we probably had a long way to go before we found out what exactly brought us here. And most probably, it's not something that will reward us with sweets. Probably more like bitter smiles and sad faces. Or maybe I'm just skeptical. Either way, I am kind of worried about where that crowd went, I haven't heard anybody in the past 10 minutes. I drank more of the water as we continued walking down the corridor, nothing was heard except the echoes of our steps and my rough breath...

0 comments:

Post a Comment